Tent campers looking for a wilder camping experience with camp fires in Snowdonia can pitch on our lower camping fields, open from 1st May until end of September. It is our “nearly wild” camping experience, featuring composting toilets and hot shower facilities, and fresh water for drinking and washing dishes. Set up a campfire in a stone fire pit, tell stories, and relax for an amazing Welsh camping holiday.
Back to Nature Camping
Pitches on our camp site on the Mawddach Trail are well spread out in sheltered glades, secret meadows or high on a bluff overlooking the estuary. The lower camping fields are for tent campers looking for a quiet, back to nature camping experience with camp fires. The 40 acres of meadows and wild woods are crossed by streams and dry stone walls. No matter where you are, you are surrounded by unspoilt scenery and wildlife, with owls and woodpeckers as your neighbours! Pitches are spacious with a maximum of 17 tents permitted, so there’s plenty of breathing space. Facilities are simple but very clean, with compost loos, hot showers and drinking water taps.
Our camp site in North Wales has been featured in Cool Camping’s “50 Best Camp Sites on the Wilder Side” rankings for many years. Not to mention, Go North Wales’ named us the “Best Camping, Glamping, and Caravan site” in 2021. Read more about the facilities and pitches here.
Click below and book with us for an amazing Snowdonia camping holiday.
Tent Camping Fields Facilities:
- ● Clean compost toilets
● Hot showers near the estuary field and secluded pitches
● Refurbished conventional toilets, washbasins, and hot showers near the touring site
● Drinking water taps
● Dishwashing sinks
● Responsibly managed campfires allowed in stone fire-pits, with logs for sale on site
● Order breakfast croissants, barista coffee, craft beer, craft cider and fresh eggs onsite
● Car-free camping for most pitches, with wheelbarrows available for carrying kit
● 3 pre-bookable “pitch and park” pitches for cars, ideal for roof tents
- ● Great transport links with a bus stop at site linking to the local train station
You can bring your own BBQ, but it must be lifted off the ground, disposable BBQs are not allowed on-site. The “pitch and park” site has a limit of one tent and car per pitch. Additional event shelters, annexes, or gazebos are not allowed on the estuary field pitches. Car-free pitchers must leave their car in the camper’s car park. There is no access available for vans as the track is too steep.
We do not accept new arrivals before 12pm or after 6pm/sunset, unless organised by prior arrangement. This is for the safety, peace, and quiet of all campers.
Car-free Snowdonia Camping & Access Information
Fields are kept strictly car-free to provide a great camping experience for grown-ups, with a spirit of adventure and families with older children. We have lots of space for tent camping, but have chosen to limit the number of pitches and car access areas to help protect the tranquil environment of the campsite.
Car must be parked in the camper’s car park (sorry there is no access at all for for vans asthe track is too steep).
While you cannot drive to a pitch to drop off your kit, wheelbarrows are provided to help you. We also offer a lift service between 2pm and 4pm in special circumstances, such as campers with lots of kit. Outside these times, please be prepared to wheelbarrow your kit to your pitch. Our fields are a bit up and down and your pitch may be several hundred metres from the car park so you’ll need to factor this into your adventure plans!
We have a few “pitch and park” pitches where you can book to park by your pitch.
Vehicle access is via a steep track, making the lower fields unsuitable for vans of any kind. Our touring site is much more suitable for owners of vans. Please understand there is no access or parking area for vans, unless you book a camper van pitch. Sorry but tents and camper van campers cannot pitch together due to the terrain.
There is a different area of the site for camper vans which remains open until early January.
Roof tent campers can choose from our 3 “Pitch and Park” pitches or any camper van pitch.
For advance online bookings, bank holidays have a 3 night minimum stay/price requirement. There are other minimum stay requirements during the school holidays, this is to give campers who want to book their main holiday first chance at the pitches. Shorter stays are usually available nearer the time. If you are having trouble booking but can see availability, please give us a call.
“If Carlsberg did campsites… We chose to camp in the Estuary field where no cars are allowed and you’ve got truly great views across the Mawddach Estuary, spacious pitches each with a campfire spot and dark skies with stars that will leave you gawping. What a place to be! Got to be one of, if not, THE best spot we’ve pitched at.”
2024 Tent fields prices
Open 1 May – 30 September
We have minimum booking requirements during peak season including 3 night stays on bank holidays. If you can’t book the dates you require online but can see they are available please get in touch and we will see if we can fit you in.
Prices are based on one tent and up to 2 people sharing. Strictly one tent per pitch. Dates are inclusive.
If you are a solo camper looking for a pitch last minute please contact us for the best deal we can offer.
Open 1 May – 30 September
Mid season (1&2 – 23 May, 2 – 30 June, 1 – 30 September)
£22 pitch / night for standard tent pitch
£24 / night for premium “Pitch and Park” tent pitch you can drive to and park next to.
Peak Season (All bank holidays and 1 July – 31 August)
£32 pitch / night
£34 / night for premium “Pitch and Park” tent pitch you can drive to and park next to.
Car charge – this is to manage very limited parking space: £10 one off charge for whole of stay (£5 off peak) – one car per pitch only. Also applies to Park and Pitch
Additional people sharing same tent – price is per night
Mid Season Adult £8 Child (5 – 16 inclusive) £3.50 Under 5s free
Peak Season Adult £9 Child (5 – 16 inclusive) £4 Under 5s free
Dogs £3/dog/stay (donated to animal charity)
Phone charging £1/item/charge
We regret car parking and pitches are strictly limited by planning restrictions. One car per pitch is allowed so any additional vehicles are strictly by prior arrangement and subject to availability charged at £30/night during peak times as we have to shut another pitch down to create a car parking space.
What your pitch price includes
- 2 people in one tent per pitch
- children under 5 free
- large grassy pitch
- loads of space, no more than 6 pitches per field
- stone fire pit
- peace and quiet, birdsong, starry skies
- hot showers, compost loos, washing up area
- free wifi in shelter
- access to microwave, fridge and freezer for ice-packs
- free welcome guide packed with local knowledge and walks from site
- lift to and from your pitch at set times when possible
- space for event shelters (Orchard or Super Secluded pitches only)
- filtered spring water
- recycling and refuse bins. We have achieved Silver/Glaslyn Level Plastic Free business status from Eryri National Park
- chemical Disposal Point for camping toilets
- pre-book your favourite pitch
- parking for 1 car per pitch in car park or next to tent on one of the 3 “Park and Pitch” pitches – one off charge
- dogs – one off charge donated to animal shelter
- additional people/night
- phone charging
- additional vehicles (by pre-arrangement only if we have space)
- on site shop with barista coffee, pre-order breakfast pastries, firewood, local craft beers, maps etc
- outstanding location with direct access to Mawddach Trail down steepish track
- bus stop to beach/shops/local pub (daytime only)
- bike racks
- friendly and knowledgable team
- sustainably managed camp site