Tent campers looking for a wilder camping experience with camp fires can pitch on our lower camping fields in sheltered glades, secret meadows or high on a bluff overlooking the estuary from 1 May until 30 September. We are proud that our camp site is featured in the Cool Camping guides and has won a Green Snowdonia Award – we are in the top 3 places to camp in Wales in the most up to date edition of Cool Camping.
The lower camping fields are for tent campers looking for a back to nature camping experience. The 40 acres of meadows and wild woods are crossed by streams and dry stone walls so you are surrounded by unspoilt scenery and wildlife. Your neighbours will be owls and woodpeckers! Pitches are spacious with a maximum of 18 tents permitted so there’s plenty of breathing space. There are compost loos and a new shower trailer on the tent camping fields. Vehicle access is strictly limited and the fields kept car-free – see below. A great camping experience for grown ups with a spirit of adventure and families with older children.
Facilities on the tent camping fields:
- responsibly managed campfires allowed in stone fire-pits – logs for sale on site
- compost toilets
- lovely new shower trailer with two unisex showers near estuary field
- drinking water tap near estuary field
- conventional loos and further showers a few minutes walk up the steep hill on touring site
- car-free camping area for most pitches – leave your car in the camper’s car park (no parking available for vans as track too steep)
- 3 “Pitch and Park” pitches you can park a car next to your tent
- pre-order breakfast croissant and buy local craft beers, eggs and bacon on site
- strictly one tent and one car per pitch. No additional annexes or gazebos on estuary field pitches.
- look at our site plan and visit Graig Wen on Facebook for more pictures and news
Vehicle access is via a steep track so the lower fields are not suitable for vans of any kind which are better suited to our touring site. We have lots of space for tent camping but strictly limit the number of pitches and car access/parking to protect the tranquil environment. There’s a few pitches where you can park by your pitch. Most pitches are from 3 – 10 minutes walk from the car parking area. For famililies with lots of kit we try and offer a lift service for arrivals between 2 and 4pm. Outside of these times please be prepared to carry your kit to your pitch. Wheelbarrows are provided to help! Access to the lower fields is for cars only (no vans) via a steep track. Please note that the pitches on the estuary field have great views but are a little closer together so we ask that you do not bring additional event shelters, annexes, gazebos etc for the estuary field.
Please note that we do not accept new arrivals before 12 noon or after 6pm/dark, (whichever is earlier) unless by prior arrangement. This is for the safety and peace and quiet of all campers.
- compost loos on lower fields
- new shower trailer near estuary field
- two ladies and two gents loos a walk up hill on touring site
- two unisex showers a steep walk up track on upper touring site. Area for hairdrying (bring your hairdryer)
- dogs on leads welcome
- pub within 30 minutes bike ride along estuary trail
- BBQs allowed and communal campfire area – logs and charcoal for sale on site
- mobile phone reception (except for 02 users)
- 3G and 4G. wifi access at reception
- public transport from site entrance
- bike hire locally from Dolgellau, Barmouth and Coed y Brenin
- shops and launderette within 2 miles. Cafes and supermarkets within 5 miles.
- camp shop selling essentials such as milk, cold drinks, Calor gas and rock pegs
- pre-order breakfast croissants on site
- covered washing up area and microwave access on upper touring site
- filtered drinking water from mountain spring – cold tap on lower fields
- starry skies and birdsong
2019 Lower tent fields prices
Open 1 May – 30 September
We have minimum booking requirements during peak season including 3 night stays on bank holidays. If you can’t book the dates you require online please get in touch and we will see if we can fit you in.
Prices are based on one tent and up to 2 people sharing. Strictly one tent per pitch.
If you are a solo camper looking for a pitch last minute please contact us for the best deal we can offer.
Mid season 1 – 23 May excluding bank holiday, 2 – 30 June, 1 – 30 September
£15 pitch /night based on up to 2 people sharing 1 tent
Peak Season All bank holidays and school holidays: 24 May – 1 June and 1 July – 31 August
£20 pitch / night based on up to 2 people sharing 1 tent
Car charge £10 for whole of stay – one car per pitch only – the is to manage very limited parking space
For Pitch with car parking next to it (one car only) £10 one off charge plus £1/night
Dogs £2/dog/stay (donated to animal charity)
Phone charging in reception £1/item/charge
Additional people sharing same tent – price is per night
Mid Season Adult £8 Child (5 – 16 inclusive) £3.50 Under 5s free
Peak Season Adult £9 Child (5 – 16 inclusive) £4 Under 5s free
We regret car parking and pitches are strictly limited by planning restrictions. One car per pitch is allowed so any additional vehicles are strictly by prior arrangement and subject to availability charged at £30/night during peak times as we have to shut another pitch down to create a car parking space.
PAYMENT AND BOOKING CONDITIONS
You can pay by credit or debit card – there is no charge for this. We do not accept cheques
For bookings made 6 weeks or less before your stay, we require payment in full in advance.
For bookings made 6 weeks or more before your stay, we require 25% deposit. Your balance is due 6 weeks before your stay. You will receive an email reminder of this. Payment will automatically be taken using the card details provided by you when you booked unless you contact us earlier to make other arrangements. If we do not receive payment from you by this time we reserve the right to cancel your booking.
We will email you confirmation of your booking and you must let us know of any discrepancies immediately.
Cancellation by you
If you cancel more than 14 days before your stay you will receive 75% refund.
If you cancel 14 days or less before your stay you will not be entitled to any refund.
If you do have a problem please email or call us as soon as possible so we can re-let your pitch as another camper who may want it. Deposit payments are non-refundable and non-transferable. We recommend taking out travel insurance.
Deposit payments are non-refundable and non-transferable. No refunds can be given if you chose to depart prior to the end of your booked holiday for whatever reason.
We reserve the right to refuse any bookings. Group bookings are at our discretion.