The best sort of winter day…sparkling white mountains and cloudless blue sky. We slipped our way up an icy path high above Blaenau Ffestiniog to the ruined houses of Cwmorthin. The abandoned slate quarry buildings stood black and eerie today against the white landscape. The treacherous skin of ice on Llyn Cwmorthin was causing a cormorant no end of frustration. My six layers of clothing just about did the trick but could have done with spiked boots on the way back down. Stunning place, can’t wait to go back to explore some more.
- We won!
- Instant Gift Vouchers for the Outdoors Lover
- Winter wild escapes in Snowdonia
- Finalist in 2021 Go North Wales Tourism Awards
- Barmouth Bridge Temporary Closure – alternative routes
- Autumn wonders in Snowdonia
- Fully open from Monday 17 May 2021
- Outdoor Dining and Take Outs for Spring 2021
- Are you open? and other FAQs!
- Easter 2021 re-opening for residents in Wales