We love hearing about the new and exciting things you do while you’re staying with us! So this year we’d like you, if you’re aged 16 or younger, to tell us about Your Welsh Adventure at Graig Wen in a piece of travel writing. You can write about a place that sparks your imagination, some new food you’ve tasted, a journey you go on or any experience which has challenged or inspired you. You might try something new and exciting (or scary!) while you’re staying at Graig Wen – the photo above was taken by one of our young guests, William Gunshon, who climbed Cadair Idris. Other young visitors have learnt to ride their bike here or toasted their first marshmallow on a camp fire. We’d love you to write about it! Describe the sights, sounds, smells and feelings which will convey your experience to us, and you could win prizes including a Graig Wen T-shirt and holiday or book vouchers.
There are 3 chances to enter, and the overall winner will be announced by 1st October. The deadlines are: 31st May, 17th July and 18th September.
Send us your entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or private message on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Graigwen
Here are a couple of places to go to help get you started:
Watch a short video in which Kate Humble takes a trip on the Ffestiniog Railway, giving ideas on structure and what sort of words to use.
Read some great examples of travel writing from young writers in a similar competition last year
The T &C’s
1. This travel writing competition is only open to guests aged 16 and under who have stayed at Graig Wen or The Slate Shed B & B during 2016
2. The theme is “My Welsh Adventure”
3. Travel writing pieces must be between 300 and 500 words, and may include one photo of between 1MB and 4MB for illustration.
4. Experiences written about must be from during your 2016 holiday with us at Graig Wen
5. Only enter pieces you’d be happy for us to use for promotional purposes/on our website
The winner of each round for each category will win a T-shirt. The overall winner will win a T-shirt and £50 Graig Wen holiday voucher or book tokens. The stay must be taken during 1st October 2016 and 31st March 2017, excluding school/public holidays and is subject to availability